Saariselkä MTB Stages?
Saariselkä MTB Weekend was organized for the first time in the year 2011. At the first time the event consisted only of one competition: Saariselkä MTB Marathon. One year later the event grew and on the other competition day we competed on XCO-competition. The seventh Saariselkä MTB Stages will be organized 25.-27.8.2017! You can find more information about Stage race here. The event is organized by Saariselkä Booking and sport club Inarin Yritys.
Urho Kekkonen national park
The trails of Saariselkä MTB Stages run through the fells and forests of Urho Kekkonen national park and Hammastunturi wilderness area. Urho Kekkonen national park is the second largest national park in Finland. The size of the park is 2550 m2.
The park was establised in year 1983. It was named after a former President of Finland, Urho Kaleva Kekkonen. He was the longest serving President (1956-1982) in Finnish history and he was known to be a huge fan of Lapland. The president used to make long cross-country skiing hikes in the the northern most Lapland. The national park was given as a 80 year birthday present to Kekkonen.
The terrain of the national park varies from open rugged fell areas, to vast forestlands, lakes and swamps.
How to get here?
Saariselkä is situated in Northern Lapland, Finland, 260km north from the Arctic Circle. Saariselkä is a small village on the highlands of Lapish fells. Here you don’t necessarily need your own car, it’s easy to move around the village by foot or by bike. It’s also easy to travel here by your own car, the Finnish roads are relatively fast and mostly in good condition. It’s also easy to get here by airplane.
- Direction south: The distance from Helsinki to Saariselkä is 1 050 kilometers via road E75.
- Direction west: From Norway: For example via E8/road 79/road 80/E75(Skibotn-Kilpisjärvi-Muonio-Kittilä-Sodankylä-Saariselkä). The distance Skibotn-Saariselkä is 530 kilometers. Please notice that Finish roads are in general much faster than Norwegian.
- Direction north: Via E75: The distance from Utsjoki(Norwegian border) to Saariselkä is 195 kilometers.
- Direction east: From Russia the easiest way to travel to Saariselkä is via Raja-Jooseppi customs, roads 91 and E75. The distance from Raja-Jooseppi customs to Saariselkä is 83 kilometers and from Murmask approximately 300 kilometers.
- The closest airport to Saariselkä is in Ivalo, the distance from airport to Saariselkä is only 25km. There are daily flights to Ivalo via Helsinki. It’s also possible to fly to Rovaniemi, which is situated 260km south from Saariselkä. If you need help in booking flights, don’t hesitate to contact North Village’s customer service at email@example.com.
- It’s possible to travel Helsinki-Rovaniemi by train. It takes about 10 hours and you can travel also during night time comfortably in sleaping carriage. From Rovaniemi you still have to travel approximately three hours by car; either own car, rental car or public bus.